Camden was settled around 1650 or perhaps even earlier, the first residents drifting down from Virginia and establishing themselves on both sides of the Pasquotank River. The first major settlements developed around four creeks --- Raymond's, Sawyer's, Arenuse, and Joy's. Dense undergrowth and swampy bottomlands made passable roads impossible; therefore, travel was mainly accomplished through the waterways.
Oldest known two-story brick house in NC, ca. 1746.
When Camden County was still part of Pasquotank County, a ferry was used to cross the Pasquotank River. During the Revolutionary Period, a charter was granted to Lemuel Sawyer, Jr., to operate a ferry from a point near Camden Courthouse, where the river was only about 200 yards wide. This ferry continued to operate until around 1911, when a bridge was constructed across the river.
Since some of the early settlers came from localities in England where watermills were in operation, this method of grinding grain was attempted here. Because the streams were sluggish, the mills were not very efficient. Much more satisfactory were the windmills located on bluffs along the banks of the broad Pasquotank River.